Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bento Update: Sea Creatures

It is summer now in Japan and Aiden has been bringing back crafts of various sea animals (octopus, starfish etc) from the summer programme that his school has been organizing. So yesterday I was inspired to make him a bento with the sea animals that he is familiar with.

Tadah!












Say hi to Miss Octopus and Mr Starfish!

Miss Octopus is made of ham and the 8 legs were cut out individually and assembled together. The eyes are from white cheese and the eyeballs, mouth and eyelashes were cut from nori. The same goes for Mr Starfish.

It would have been nicer if the rice that Miss Octopus sits on is coloured in blue, but I haven't figured out how to dye rice naturally in this colour so I didn't bother. Mr Starfish is made from pink rice since I have some leftover from the other day.

I showed Aiden his bento before I packed it in his bag and all he said was,

"But I want sandwich for lunch today!"

So much for my efforts.

*********************************************************

I will be in Singapore to visit family and friends for 3 weeks from tomorrow onwards. Writing on this blog will resume when I return. Please visit this site after 28 August 2010!

Take care everyone!!! xoxoxo

No comments: