Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm back!

It's nice to be home, although I haven't had a real home for the past 3 years due to my husband's work that resulted in us having to move from country to country. We have been living in Yokohama since January 2009 and for some reason, this city feels so much like home to me. Everytime I travel back to either Perth or Singapore, I find myself missing Japan. We just spent 3 weeks in Singapore and got back on Friday night. I went to my favourite local supermarket this morning and felt so happy the minute I stepped into the store. The trolleys, the aisles, and the overall familiarity with where everything was, I miss these so much.

Spending 3 weeks in my home country was nice but stressful and very exhausting as usual. My husband could only join us for the last week so I was pretty much a single parent for the first 2 weeks. It was tough since my 3 year old is no angel. My parents found it hard to manage him when I wasn't there but I really needed the time to catch up with my close friends. For most of my outings with friends that didn't include Aiden, I was often interrupted by phone calls from home, or distracted by worries about how my parents were coping without me. Still, I tried to make the best of the limited time I had with friends I have been missing dearly. We got to meet, shop, eat, drink, and laugh together. Good times.

Apart from missing family, the hardest thing about moving away from my home country for me is giving up my social life. My girlfriends have always been a big part of my life and I am very blessed to have found many whom I can count as close friends. The biggest excitement for me whenever I land in Singapore is the thought of seeing these friends and doing girly things together again. These moments seem even more precious this trip as I have a feeling that it could be the last time I get to hang out with them and reminisce on good old times. It may be awhile before I return to Singapore again. And when I do, I may be a mother of 2 so that means there is no way I can leave kids at home with my parents who are also growing older. Nobody knows what the future holds. The only thing I could do during this trip was to cherish every moment I had with the people I love.

Time to move on again.
f
f

3 comments:

Keri said...

Sounds like a unique adventure, you're very fortunate. I lived in Yokohama for a short time some years ago. I'd love to go back now that I'm older and more appreciative of many things. Thanks for friending me at Sandwich365. Love the Bento Sea Creatures. Very creative. Take care,

keri
www.samwich365.com

Cindy said...

What a coincidence Keri! Yokohama is indeed great. Love your sandwich blog. Have been reading a few food blogs but never have I come across a sandwich blog. Thanks for recommending that to me!

Em's Treasures said...

There goes three good weeks. Miss you Friend =(