Friday, October 1, 2010

Purposeful Play - Homemade Fun

I haven't done a purposeful play entry in a while. Here's something my husband did with Aiden sometime back.












Aiden pretending to be the driver of Thomas the tank engine and pulling along his 2 coaches, Annie and Clarabel that were made out of shoeboxes. I just realised that Annie and Clarabel appear to be really small in the picture here so you may not be able to see them clearly. It didn't cross my mind to take a closeup and well, I can't be bothered doing it now.

It all started when Aiden threw a tantrum (typical behaviour) at the shops when he wanted to purchase Annie and Clarabel and I refused to give in to his demands. I explained to him that he already has got too much toys at home and he wasn't even playing with most of them. Tears, whines and rolling stunts started and I just sat on a seat at the shop, waiting for him to finish his silly tantrums. And by the way, this happens preeetty often :). As you can imagine, I am fairly numb to the embarassmant in public. But I am not the type of parent to give in to silly demands of the child just because that is the easiest way out. And Aiden knows I mean what I say.

That night, I related the incident to my husband. Him, being the creative one of the both of us, suggested that we create Annie and Clarabel with stuff that we have already got at home. In this way, Aiden gets what he wants and at the same time learn about recycling things and how we can be creative. The little boy was of course very excited about the project that he and his dad were going to do. And in the end, my husband even made him the face of Thomas out of a cardboard and hung on his beck so that he could imagine himself to be the driver.












The proud moment.

My husband is great. I'm not a creative person and it didn't occur to me that we could have a project like this at home. It was cheap, fun and educational. The little boy was happy and learned something out of it. Win win!
c
c

No comments: