Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bento Update: Little People



Rice balls with potato fish cakes and salad (spinach and radish).

I know the eyes of the little faces are too small but hey, I'm still trying to polish up my skills in cutting nori (dried seaweed). These little faces are very challenging and I really don't have that much time in the morning perfecting the skills in making them handsome. As you can see, I threw in a bear as I got too tired fom cutting 2 faces.

Recipe for potato fish cakes
  • boil chunks of pototoes (peeled).
  • once the pototes are soft enough to be mashed, add sea salt (just a pinch to taste)
  • mash the potatoes
  • while potatoes are boiling, chop or grate whatever vegetables you would like to add into the mash later. I usually grate some carrots, chopped spring onion and broccoli.
  • add canned tuna or salmon (make sure there are no bones) into the mashed potato. No need to drain the canned fish as the oil will help to bind the mixture into patties.
  • add chopped vegetables into the potato and fish mixture.
  • mix well and shape into patties (I make them very small and bite-sized for Aiden's easy handling at school). If the mixture does not bind very well, you may have to add in a beaten egg.
  • coat the patties in breadcrumbs. Panfry in olive oil or bake them in the oven (a healthier option but I do not have the time to bake these in the morning).

A very healthy dish for growing toddlers and you can hide any vegetables in it! One of Aiden's favourites.

1 comment:

Em's Treasures said...

I tot the eyes look propostionate and nice la. Yum Yum Aiden 好幸福啊!