Sunday, June 20, 2010

My little Fashionista

From the time he was about 18 months old, Aiden started (out of nowhere) to develop a keen interest in fashion. I know that toddlers tend to want control and independence at some stage of their growth and they usually begin with choosing their own outfits. But from what I have read, this normally happen when they are about 2 or 3 years of age. Wanting a say in the choice of clothing at the age of 18 months is definitely waayyyy too early so you can imagine how much Aiden has been driving me crazy for the past 16 months.

Every morning, Aiden wants to get changed into his day clothes as soon as he gets out of bed. And I mean literally as soon as. He pulls out his drawer and start talking to himself, deliberating on what to wear for the day. It is now summer in Japan and the weather has been progressingly hot and humid. But he ONLY wants to wear long trousers (god knows why). In fact, he only wants to wear this particular pair of jeans because, according to him, it is long and blue. At the moment, he is into the prints of skulls and ninjas so he will only wear t-shirts with these designs on. And previously for a long period of time, Aiden's favourite colour was yellow and he wanted to wear his one and only yellow t-shirt everywhere he went. He got really upset whenever that t-shirt had to be washed. Oh, and he always matched the t-shirt with his yellow shoes coz, well, they matched.

I have wasted quite a fair bit of money on clothes and shoes that ended at the bottom of his closet and never seeing daylight just because he did not approve of them. And frankly, I can still put up with all these until recently, when he started to poke his nose into MY DRESSING too! I'm serious! Lately, I haven't been able to leave the house unless he agrees with what I wear. In fact, he makes his wishes clear to me before I even get the chance to go through my wardrobe. He will tell me that I should wear a dress for the day. Or that I should also wear a red t-shirt because he was wearing one too. If I dare go against his wishes, a huge tantrum (that includes tears and rolling around on the floor) will happen over the next 10 minutes. Somedays I just have to do as he says if we are in a rush and I do not have the time to argue with him. It is easier that way.

The other day, his interference in my dressing got to a new high point. We were getting ready to go to the park and he was already prepared with his shoes on and waiting for me at the door. As I was walking towards the door, I noticed that he was carrying a pair of shoes in his arms. My strappy, shiny, gold stilettos! I was in t-shirt and shorts by the way.

"Mummy, you should wear these today. They are pretty."

Can someone please kill me?

5 comments:

Rynn said...

Hey Babe, should be glad he is wearing on something. You know for don't know how many freaking months, Enson Boy refuse to wear any bottoms except his pampers(diaper) with his favourite Thomas & Friends shirts. Nothing works to make him wear a decent bottom. Until now, I still couldn't get him to wear any bottoms. Pamper is all he wants. He is toilet trained in school, but at home the pamper is his 'toilet'. Oh ya he is willing to wear his school uniform in school, but other than that, don't expect to see him wearing any decent bottom. And imagine bringing out a 3 years old child with a shirt and just a pamper as his bottom *sign* Are you feeling better now as compare to me??? lolz

Cindy said...

I hear u. So has the "bottom" issue been resolved? We had difficulty getting him to give up his nappies too. He was very resistant to using the potty. It was only until recently we finally got to train him by enticing him with toys. He love transformers so we agreed to get him new transformers when he use the toilet. And voila! And he finally figured that underpants are MUCH more comfy than the nappies.

Rynn said...

Nah...... not resolve yet. This guy of mine is really one stubborn fellow. If he doesn't want it, he means business! Funny part is he doesn't wear his pamper in school. He should realise underpants are more comfy by now right? But still once he reach home, he will go around telling you to change pamper for him, He won't give up until you give in. And you know I have been trying for the past one month to get his hair cut, but unsucessful even telling him we will buy him his favourite Thomas train after the hair cut. He will tell you to buy the toy, but no hair cut please. Just two days back, I managed to convince him to let me trim his fringe. Well...... job done! But ugly lor! He got a 'gugu' hairdo now :( And oh ya just a moment ago. he insisted his Daddy to pee on the toilet floor instead of the toilet bowl! *headache!*

Cindy said...

funny right, these toddlers. I have come to the conclusion that they don't behave according to logic and we adults can never understand the rational behind their actions. I was getting really worried about Aiden's toilet training 2 months ago as he was seriously that resistant, despite proudly telling us how all his frends go to the toilet at school. In fact, he specifically told us that he wants to be a baby! omg, how do you argue against that right? i was really relieved when we finally managed to 'convert" him. Dun worry lah, u will get there eventually. But trust me, I know how frustrated u are! when i come back in Aug, we can get together and bitch about our sons. And our husbands too. Lol.

Rynn said...

Yeah! Can't wait to see you soon. It's been a long time:)