Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pride of a Mother

Last week, I was invited to a private session with the Head of School that Aiden has been attending. This is a yearly Parent-Teacher Conference where they reviewed Aiden's progress at school and his general behaviour away from home.

I have to say the session went really well and I learnt a lot more about my son from an outsider's point of view. Aiden will be turning 3 this August and he definitely is still in the terrible-twos phase. The past few weeks have been exceptionally challenging and stressful for me as he become increasingly defiant, rude, and throws tantrums on, say. an hourly basis (regardless of where he is. We could be at the supermarket, or in the car, at the park etc. He would snap and turn into full tantrum mode if there is anything that pisses him off). The principal touched on the topic of defiant behaviour too, as she related some of the cheeky stuff he had been up to in the classroom. We both agreed (and hoped) that it should only be a phase.

The Principal (whom I will call as Ms J) also complimented Aiden for being one of the most articulate child in the class despite being one of the younger ones. For those who are not aware, this is a Montessori pre-school where children are divided into 2 age groups - 1.5 yr old to 4, and 4 to 6 yr old. Aiden belong to the younger class of course. Ms J said that she finds Aiden very intelligent for his age. She recalled that the first time we brought Aiden for orientation, he was already able to recite all 26 alphabets and what most of them stand for. And he was only 22 month old at that time. Ms J also said that Aiden is very studious as he seems to enjoy reading, tracing letters, numbers and memory games. She even praised him for being able to accomplish tasks that even some of the 4 year olds at the school could not accomplished. At the end of the session, Ms J also suggested that perhaps by early next year, Aiden should move up to the higher class as they focus more on the academic learning which he seems to be interested in and she is confident that he is up for the challenge.

I have to say I am a very proud mum. I know that Aiden is a pretty smart boy but it is always nice to hear that from an outsider. People may say that Ms J might have been just trying to flatter, or that she says the same things to every parent but seriously, I know what my son is capable of. Aiden understood the concept of counting when he was merely 20 month old. I discovered that when playing some random wooden blocks with him. I have the habit of asking him difficult questions not expecting him to give me the correct answers but he has surprised (and impressed me) from time to time. I remember putting 4 blocks infront of him and he said "4" to me. And when I took 2 blocks away, he still gave me a correct answer. When he was just over a year old, he started playing with jigsaw puzzles. Now, he is able to complete a 150 piece world map puzzle (not an easy one) in approximately 25 minutes if he is not distracted. He is also extremely observant and aware of the surroundings. We have the habit of discussing his day at school when he comes home and he will always tell me individually what all his friends brought for lunch, what colour shirts they wore etc. His attention to details and ability to recall and relate events is amazing for a toddler who is not even 3. Oh, and he can even spell a simple word like "cat".

I know I sound like I am boasting here but I am sure any mothers out there can relate to this kind of pride that only parents have for their children. One of the reasons that I set this blog up is so that I have a space where I can document the various milestones of my child's development. I will grow old one day. And memory may fail me. But this is a place where I can always look back on how proud my son has once made me. This may even come in handy when I have to make a speech at his wedding one day!

This is my little man.



Going to school on a cold winter morning.

No comments: