Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Beginning?

I have been so so busy since we got back from Singapore that I haven't even had time to breathe properly. Almost straight after we arrive back in Yokohama, we started packing up the apartment instead of unpacking our luggage. We were moving to a house in 7 days and there were lots to do. Collected the keys last wednesday and I started moving some personal items like clothes and shoes by myself over 2 days when Aiden was at school. Then came Friday, the actual moving day. We had movers who started work at 8am on Friday morning. They had to make 3 trips between the old apartment and the new house (thank god these locations are not far from each other). They didn't finish the job until almost 11pm that night!

This move has made me realise how much stuff our family of 3 own. Seriously way too much. I'm quite turned off by myself honestly. We (mainly me I guess) have been accumulating things everytime we move and we have moved 6 times (including this round) since 2005. This is probably more than some people have moved in their whole lifetime! My husband and I are now so efficient in moving that we can now claim to be experts in this area. But I am really really tired. Hopefully we can stay up in this house for at least the next 2 years. Doesn't sound hard does it?

Many people have asked why we have to make our lives so difficult. Well, in the past we had to move between countries because we accepted overseas job offers for the sake of our family's future. Our move this time is for several reasons. Our previous apartment is beautiful and very large by japanese standards. But it is not serving our needs very well. Our 3 year old is an active, developing boy and we don't want to have to restrain him from some of the physical activities (like running and jumping) at home just because we fear disturbing the neighbours. Also, we have been having so many visitors and it will be nice to have the extra space. This new place is great. We finally have our own garage again. And we even have a roof terrace with great views of the neighbourhood. The move was by far the hardest we have ever done but we were mentally prepared for it. I know many people do not like moving because it can be so exhausting and frustrating but I am not the type who will let these reasons stop me from having a nicer home to live in. After all, it was only one week of stress and exhaustion which will be over.

The one good thing that has come out of this move is that after seeing so much stuff I own, I have decided that perhaps I should really stop buying. Haha, I know some people are laughing at me. Well, at least give me credit for saying that I want to try. Maybe I should stop buying clothes and shoes and just save up my money to invest in another good bag. Perhaps a jumbo 2.55??
f
f
f

No comments: