Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bento Update: Happy Friends

Just realised I haven't posted any bento updates recently so here's one I made recently for Aiden's lunch at school.



I'm trying to be a little more creative with Aiden's bentos but it has been hard. This boy is rather lazy with feeding himself so whatever I put in the bento have to be bite-sized. And bentos for kids are usually decorated with vegetables like carrots cut into shapes of flowers, or broccoli acting as "bushes" or little "trees" to fill up empty spaces in the lunchbox. But Aiden doesn't like carrots and broccoli. And if I put these into his lunchbox, I fear he may be pissed off and will thus refuse to eat the rest of the stuff (it happened before).

The other day, I was feeling quite sick of doing bentos the usual way and decided to just do it and added star shaped zucchini and flower carrot (stuck with a decorative stalk that is inedible) to beautify the bento. I painstakingly cut out strips of nori to make designs of shirts for the rice "people". Don't they just look like 2 little good friends?

Thankfully the bento came back from school that day empty. Well, except for the zucchini (which he will only eat them in grated form) and the carrot. And he specifically told me not to put the carrot in his lunchbox again. I guess that was his final warning to me.

No comments: