Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Egg Tarts

My husband and I love egg tarts. But it is quite hard to find decent egg tarts here in Yokohama so I decided to make my own.

I have made egg tarts before but this is the first time I really put in more effort into making them. In my previous attempts, I used some random pastry recipe which turned out more like puff pastry after baking. And the egg custard did not set very well for some reason so they ended up looking more like portugese egg tarts rather than the classic chinese style ones. I was really craving for the kind of egg tarts that you usually get from chinese dim sum restaurants so when I chanced upon a recipe with pictures of egg tarts that I love to eat, I decided to attempt baking them. After 40 minutes in the kitchen, I ended up with these.


Yay! It was a success!

Well, the pastry is a little too thick (in my opinion but I wasn’t game enough to make them too think for fear that they would break) and they did not brown evenly because of the uneven heat in the oven. But I would still call this a success because firstly, it looks good, and secondly, they tasted heavenly!



My husband and I had them with wine. Normally chinese tea goes better with egg tarts but it was a Saturday night and wine worked better.

Here’s the recipe for those who are interested.

Egg Tarts Recipe

Pastry
100g caster sugar
1 egg
175g unsalted butter
350g plain flour

Custard
6 eggs
4 egg yolks
200ml golden syrup
200ml fresh milk
200ml water
2tsp honey

Method
To make pastry:
Place sugar, egg and butter in the mixer and beat until sugar is just dissolved.
Add sifted plain flour and mix until dough holds together.
Divide dough into small portions and press evenly onto the moulds (I used my quiche cases)
Bake at 180deg C for about 8 minutes. Remove and cool.

To make the custard:
Lightly beat (by hand will do) eggs and egg yolks together.
Combine egg mixture with golden syrup, water, milk and honey. Mix well and strain.
Pour into the pastry shells and bake at 170 deg C until custard is set (to avoid burning custard, release some heat by very briefly opening the oven door during baking).

2 comments:

Em's Treasures said...

40 min! that's impressive.

Cindy said...

it's actually quite easy to make. the pastry only needed 8 min to bake and the custard didn't take long either. the actual preparation wasn't too complicated. but i'm used to baking so i am faster. maytake a little longer for amateurs.