Thursday, July 29, 2010

What's for dinner?



Salad with raw "scallops" and cauliflower soup.

The "scallops" are actually sliced oyster mushroom and they really resemble scallops. My husband and I eat a couple of raw dinners every week in our journey to better health. We don't consider ourselves raw foodists (who usually eat at least 70% raw food in the daily diet) but having a good amount of raw meals everyweek helps to cleanse and recharge our bodies. By raw, it means that food should not be heated above 50 deg C as cooking and overheating destroy the enzymes of all food and kill the nutrients.

The other night I made a huge mixed green salad with a simple honey and red wine vinegar dressing. I love raw mushrooms so I threw in some marinated oyster mushrooms (recipe below). Sometimes we have our dinner just like that but I wanted to add on a soup to bulk up. Raw soups are not exactly my favourite so I made some cauliflower soup to go with the salad. Yums!

Raw "Scallops" (marinated oyster mushrooms)
Marinate thickly sliced king oyster mushrooms in olive oil, apple cider vinegar and tamari for at least 2 hours.

Cauliflower Soup
Ingredients:
1 cauliflower (chopped)
1 medium brown onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (bruised)
3 to 4 cups vegetable stock
2 small bay leaves (or 1 large bay leaf)

Method:
- Sauteed onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower and sauteed for another minute.
- Add stock and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Let the soup cool.
- Remove bay leaf from the soup and blend.
- Reheat the soup just before dinner.

I served my soup with a peppery heart. Told you I'm a sucker for aesthetics!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Very clever, so sweet. p.s. your kids are too cute. great photos.

Keri

www.samwich365.com